Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Review - The Demon's Lexicon

The Demon's Lexicon (The Demon's Lexicon Trilogy)First and foremost: this review is long overdue. I started reading The Demon's Lexicon about a year ago, got 9/10 chapters into it, then for some reason I can't quite explain, I stopped reading it. I don't know why. I honestly don't. Anyway, I gave myself some incentive to read it: I put it on the List of Awesome for The New Book Club, and over the past couple of days I read it. So, onto the written review!

What were your initial impressions of the book?
To put it frankly..? I've read this before. Well, to be fair, I had. I'd read more than half the book before. I just couldn't remember lots of the stuff. Re-reading it though, has led me to accept that I was fool to ever put it down in the first place! The first few chapters are intriguing and introduce us to the characters who will affect the story the most: Nick, Alan, Mae, Jamie, Olivia and Arthur. Six characters and many secrets. Fantastic.

I heard a rumour you thought you had it all figured out.
Well... eh... yeah. I did think that. About half-way through the book, I thought I knew what was happening, what the mystery was. I knew there was a twist coming, because I've been following Sarah Rees Brennan on Twitter and she said so, but when it came I was like, Huh? What? Seriously? But I thought... And then you... I NEED TEA! *dies of awesome* Or something like that. So, if you think you have this book figured out half-way through, keep reading. Odds are, you're probably wrong. The author's not going to give it all away that easily. You have to read to get your answers, and even then you'll still be baffled (by the awesome).

So... it was good then?
Can't you read? I died of awesome! That's how much I liked this book! Okay, so it didn't pull me away on a wild journey like John Green's books do, but that's because this is a different type of book. This isn't about a chase after a girl because she's cute and awesome and everything right with the world; this is a book about a hunt for peace in an unforgiving world of demons, magic and clothing that shouldn't be worn in public, of violence and vengeance. It's not a book about romance, it's a book about family. (Nick and Alan being brothers...)

Will you be reading the sequel(s)?
I intend to... but not for a while, because I have a whole heap of books to read and review, including but not limited to: Darren Shan's new book Birth of a Killer, Barry Hutchison's Raggy Maggie, Michael Scott's The Necromancer, Michael Grant's Lies and John Green's An Abundance of Katherines. Seriously, with college on its merry way back, and one or two of these books not out for quite a while, and a "few" pieces of fiction of my own to write, I will run out of time. But maybe next summer, when I'll have another ridiculous amount of time off from college, probably the same weekend job with the same hours, and nothing else to do but read because my friends live too far away from me. The Demon's Covenant is out, though, and in stores waiting for us to buy it, so I will probably pick it up soon. Until then, you can read book one, and you will enjoy it.

No comments: