Saturday, August 27, 2011

Little Bit Busy

I heard on the radio yesterday that the difference between a professional and an amateur is that a professional does the work even when he/she doesn't really feel up to it. With that in mind and with three times the hours I normally have in work to exhaust me and subsequently less hours to actually do anything, I did some work.

Okay, "some" might make it seem like I've been busy all morning. I haven't. Really I just wrote a couple of reviews, neither of which have been read by the editor yet. But it's a start, right?

See, I know I'll have a lot less hours in work come September, but I'll be starting college again. And the joys of college also come with the assignments and tutorial work and lectures, and that alone is going to take up a lot of my time. You know, before I even talk to my friends. So I figure I have to get down to working even when I'm tired and even when I don't really feel like working on reviews or anything else remotely like work.

But hey: I want to be a professional! I already have plans for a project in the new year, the planning of which has begun, and that'll be occupying a lot of time in my life and a lot of space on my website. Thankfully, there's already some interest in it from some lovely people on Twitter. So that'll be fun.

In the meantime, I actually have to set up my website. It still feels weird saying I'm working on a website, and it's even weirder to say I have a writing job for The Phantom Zone that I will, at some stage, be getting paid for. Things couldn't be more bizarre.

Oh, and I have a Pottermore account. It's not great. Unlike Google Plug sayins, I don't think it's going to get better with more members. I've looked at the comments: people are just saying "interesting". Maybe I need to get access to more of the features, but if things aren't immediately available for testing by the Beta testers, it escapes the point of the website. More on that when I get a chance to look into the site more, but so far I'm calling it a let-down.

No comments: