Sunday, May 24, 2009

How to Survive the Internet

Hey guys and gals,

I'm looking to start a project over the summer, "How to Survive the Internet (and Possibly Have a Bit of Fun at the Same Time)" but I need help researching. Well, by that I mean I need websites that can be discussed. Obviously I'm going down the social networking route (Bebo, Facebook and Myspace) and the communications route (blogging and Twitter) and the video route (youtube.... anymore of these?). But what else can I do? I mean, I have a few ideas, but that's it. I suppose I'd better tell you what I have in mind first....

- Okay, the pros and cons of social networking, and tips on how to survive them and such stuff.
- How to blog/what to blog about and how to make Twitter more interesting.
- What can be done with Youtube and other video sites
- A guide to google and other search engines (including safe search)
- Success stories from over the internet (Did someone make a living from Lulu.com; did anyone get recognised over the net as having great musical talent and other similar things)
- Guide to online forums (in general)
- Good places to get some reads
- What is PayPal and how do I use online banking
- Shopping online: eBay, Amazon and other shop fronts
- gaming websites: some of the best recommendations for free!

Also, throughout the book I want to be able to pinpoint that it is possible to get addicted to the internet, and that social activies in the "real world" need to be particiapted in too. Friends and family should not be avoided for the sake of a video series or an online book or free games - getting out there and having fun with other people is a good idea too! With that in mind I'll be telling people all about websites like Ticket Master (and I'll need some other ones, I think, if I'm to make my point quite clear - something cheaper than concerts, you know?)

Any tips and links? Please email them to survive.the.net@gmail.com

Cheers!

No comments: